View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 04:26 AM

Default Thread Christening

Hey guys! Sorry to be a tease. Just was setting up a placeholder for this long-term project.

So, lets properly introduce the thread... Music, design, science, and technology are all very important to me. Now, while I tend to be careful with my money, I am more than willing to invest in the things that are truly important.

Now admittedly, my objectives are very modest compared to many of the incredible and knowledgeable members here at AA. Some truly impressive stuff at this site!

I'm just wanting to write a journal about my recent quest back into hi-fi after too many years of compromise, compression, and digital-gone-wrong.

I wish to document my thought process and progress in building a forward-looking, minimalist hi-fi that mostly plays digital sources, and hopefully sounds incredibly musical And I'd like to do this in a way that does not require a cryogenically and quantum-treated, hyper-pure rhodium credit card to do it. Sorry guys, no MBL or dCS here. But, it's not out of the question that tubes amps (2301?), or even an LP (Linn?) could be in the distant future... I'd like to do high-silver B&W photography with a Leica 35mm too, but digital is going to be called upon for most of my daily duties. I love it all but if there has to be a priority list for me, then I'm going to have to start first with solid-state, high-resolution digital.

I'd like to start with a "state-of-the-system" post to tell you where I am at and some of what I've learned in the process. Then, I'd like to do a "deep-dive" and go into some more detail on these topics and many more: digital media done right (or more right), minimalist design, acoustics, functional art and antiques, repurposing (classics are timeless), rational thought, the scientific method, even a few well-intentioned attempts to dispel voodoo, dogma, and close-mindedness.

Yep, that's quite a shopping list, so let me leave you with a picture of my stereo as it exists this evening.

Stay tuned later this week for an installment on a very interesting topic... my network storage project. Exciting, right? Well, last year I lost all of my music, TV shows, and movies when a drive crashed. Never again...

Cheers,

Junker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3453.jpg (62.0 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (53.2 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3433.jpg (87.9 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3431.jpg (64.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3435.jpg (44.9 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by junker; 02-05-2013 at 10:17 PM.