View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 06:21 PM

Default ROON core on a NUC

Are any of you currently running Roon on a NUC? If so what has been your experience? Any issues with set-up or stability?

About a week ago I was discussing what at that time was my set-up. Roon Core running on my MacBook Pro connected wirelessly to my network. I have a USB storage device for CD's and hi-rez files which is also connected to that network and is monitored for changes by Roon. Tidal is accessed thru Roon for both CD quality and MQA titles. Then endpoint was my Meridian 808v6 connected via ethernet to the network. Everything was running very smooth. No drop-outs that others seem to experience. The only time it might hang up is when it is performing a rescan of my files.

The individual indicated that I would get better SQ if my core was hardwired to my network. I explained that there was no way I was wiring my laptop to the network so he suggested I add a NUC to perform the core duties connected via ethernet. Doing a bit of research to looks as if I would also have to add a network switch so I would have sufficient ports. From what I am reading I would have to purchase a keyboard and possibly a mouse to complete the NUC set-up. Haven't had either one of those in the house in 10 years.

Last week I sold my Meridian 808v6 and picked up a dCS Rossini. Now I am impatiently waiting for the final version of MQA for the Rossini, supposedly and day now. I am hoping that their final version runs thru Roon and not just their ap.