Thread: The Mighty Thor
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklmu View Post
Congrats Charles for this bass masterpiece

I am impatient to discover your photos

Frank
Pics are up under Community. There are plenty of them. Over the years Keith O. Johnson of Reference Recordings and I have had an on going contest. His goal is to produce low frequency notes no subwoofer would ever be able to play without buckeling and distorting and I to find a sub that would laugh at him. The sub of course would in addition have to be extremely musical and integrate with my main speakers. Not even the Krell MRS was up to this task. I mean this man seems bent on subwoofer self destruction. When I first read about the Thor I thought this just might be the one, and the lowboy configuration intrigued me. I was hopping against hope it wouldn't fit. I loved my Krell MRS. It was a mighty beast, more musical than any sub on the market producing some of the best bass I've ever heard with My MCXRT29's in the 30-80 Hz range. But although it was mighty from 18 Hz and above it just gave out below 16 Hz.

I have played all of professor Johnson's low frequency devils through the Thor at crazy levels. Enough to destroy my room. Here's the metaphor: Imagine the Thunder God sitting in his massive chair and professor Johnson standing before him on the Rainbow Bridge of Asgard. Thor is not even sweating but one can see little beads of fine sweat pop out on PJ's forehead. After each low frequency blast Thor laughs a belly laugh and slaps his knees. He says "Is that all you got?" Finally, after the last one is played Thor with a stern look on his face and with his mighty hammer knocks PJ off the Rainbow Bridge never to be seen again and that is the end of all the low frequency material I had collected over the years that no sub would play. The Maxes alone did a fantastic job on them, by giving a sample of what was there and not distorting but at the same time I knew more was there. The Thor expresses every last iota.

Last edited by Charles; 03-08-2012 at 01:33 PM.