View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 12:52 PM

The flatter saucer type ebony with rounded points are pretty good. I bought three sets of four to make four sets of three. These do not enhance the treble at the expense of the midrange as much as the ebony cones with a small brass pointed tip. The small brass tipped ebony are common on Amazon and EBay. The flatter ebony rounded tip only two sellers on eBay, Ditto the half domes.
There are also hemisphere ebony feet I have on order but have not received yet.
The flatter cones from eBay are called: 4pcs 43mm Ebony Speaker Spike Isolation Stand Feet Speaker Shock Round Head Nail these are about $25 from the lower priced seller. From Hong Kong

The half domes from eBay are called: 4PCS 23mm Ebony Speaker Spike Amplifier Damping Isolation Base Feet Stand Nail (some are $9.98 for 4, some are far higher price. all from Hong Kong)

The exotic wood pen blanks are all on Amazon typed on to 'all' exotic wood pen blanks and surf the large number of items available. all these sellers are from USA
But here is a good one, with various size set, 5, 10, 50! https://www.amazon.com/Variety-Blood...ateway&sr=8-71

I found the heavier wood to be 'more useful'.
For ease of finding out what each type specs: Here is a Wood finder great resource: https://www.wood-database.com/
use the wood finder search.
The heaviest wood from Amazon at a lower price is Cocobolo at 69lb cubic ft
Bloodwood is 66lb/cu. ft
Wenge is 54lb/cu ft
Bubinga is 56 lb/cu ft
Jatoba 57lb/cu ft
Yellowheart 52lb.cu ft
Pao Frerro 54lb/cu ft
To compare: Gabon Ebony is 60lb/cu ft, Macassar 70lb/cu ft

I steered away from ebony pen blanks because I have so many cones etc in ebony anyway.

The pen blanks I have received have two good parallel sides and two rougher sides. I have more on order, but they are all in transit.. or still waiting to be processed.

ADDED: a few more sets came today. I am marking an end with an abbreviated name so I can sort them out. Some are very hard to tell which is which anyway. It really helps that only five types in a package, which are named on the website. So I can match up the names. Hardest was Bloodwood vs Padauk. (I would have assumed the Bloodwood would be more red. nope. Since I had a prior orderwith Padauk, and those four matched the darker red... trusting (hope) the way they were packaged I have them right. Some easier since one weighs a lot more, but some... Yikes. (Even the site I posted mentions how hard it is the identify an unknown wood. And being a newbie... Deciding of two that look very similar... So I am marking them as I get them. Actually no reason for me to know, except to order more, or mention them.

Last edited by Beet Farmer; 08-03-2019 at 06:56 PM.