View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post
Hey thanks Dan appreciate the comment but my last post was slightly 'tongue in cheek' as I recently bought a 302e and am very happy with it. Not sure what I'm missing out on as McIntosh (I assume that's the preferred choice) are very rare in the UK , I don't want a lot of heat and tube power amps don't suit my style of listening.

I do think this thread illustrate why so few people post in this particular section.
Mikeoz.......I made the assumption you might be a Krell owner or at least a Krell aficionado from your initial comment about enit's post. Most of us can get our feathers fluffed quite easily when someone takes a shot at our beloved systems. There are plenty of Krell owners and past owners who post their experiences here so you will get both sides of the story from reading the different threads and posts. The Krell forum here is less active than others simply because there are other amplifier manufacturer's products being purchased in larger quantities by members. That doesn't mean Krell doesn't produce a fine product worthy of being included in a high-end system. There are many other manufacturer's forums here that have far fewer threads and posts than the Krell forum for the same reason.

It is not news that Krell has lost some ground in the high-end market for any number of reasons. The Krell management team is more than aware of it themselves. They have struggled to reemerge and gain a fresh place in the high-end market. After 30+ years as an audio manufacturer I feel certain they will continue to be a successful company. I'm sure they have a lot of faith in their new product line previewing at this year's 2014 Consumer Electronics Show.

I have had personal experience with Krell components through the years. A good friend still owns a Krell KSA-250 Class A amplifier that he drives Martin Logan panels with. I have listened to his system many times. He used to work for Sound Advice and he tried for years to convert me from McIntosh to Krell. My biggest issues along the same lines as some others was heat and a rather dry analytical presentation that bordered on edgy to my ears. Krell's bass authority and dynamics have always been spectacular but the upper midrange sterility I experienced auditioning a number of Krell amps over the years never really captured my enthusiasm. Reading reviews and forums I discovered I was not alone in my opinion. In fact, the analytical nature of Krell amplifiers is widely known and accepted as their signature sound. Some audio enthusiasts love the Krell sound and some prefer other amplifiers. Actually, that can be said about all manufacturer's offerings. We all have different tastes and interpret what we hear in different ways. That's a large part of what keeps high-end audio so exciting. There's always another sonic flavor just around the corner.

Your Krell Evolution 302e is a fine amplifier and a good looking beast, too. I much prefer its appearance to Krell's new products. The Krell Evolution line of pre/pro's and amplifiers have garnered many great reviews as well. Krell also had good success with their mono block Evolution 400e, 600e and 900e amplifiers. As a Krell 302e owner it is evident you are pleased with its performance. That's a good thing. Don't get discouraged just because their are differing views from yours. That is the nature of high-end audio. We all think our choices are the best. It certainly doesn't mean we can't be persuaded to change gears and head in an entirely new direction should something new capture our attention and ignite our excitement.

Krell Evolution 302e

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-04-2014 at 01:56 PM.