View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 AM

Thank goodness they've decided to bring manufacturing back to the USA tho.

Looking at the pictures, they certainly undertook the China-made models that resemble Emotiva chassis- i met someone that was familiar with that matter, instead of the silver, rounded corner designs. I wonder if a hint of black was decided that it was desired. Maybe a hint of the ML influence?

I would rather Krell design something else beautiful to look at, and give the bigger boys fiercer competition than going with what works conservatively, after all, the once great brand is still a well respected one, and if they are looking to re-brand or reposition, something exciting must be due, to turn the tide.

This design is not definitively Krell, though it's one of a kind. Doesn't look great in my opinion. Looks alright. For the price? Maybe not.

Definitive Look: I look at McIntosh for that elegant appeal, one look classic, love at first sight.

Amps that look good: Theta Digital (although so slow at launching new gear) and new ML has got good, definitive looks. MBL will have their audience. The Krell silver chassis was quite the influencer, looking at some manufacturers today. Emotiva has a new look for the reference range.
Constellation, Vitus Audio, Dcs, audioresearch, wadia, Devialet, the list goes on. One look, and you what they are!

Amps that look just ok: ATI, rack mounted ADA. Denon & Marantz, even though they are of a different league of amplifier builds.

Sound wise, most will say its subjective, so that reduces their appeal even further. But if it's a "universally good sounding" amp, detailed, transparent, full bodied, enveloping, with most speakers, at least respect will still be maintained, and maybe some conversion will take place.

I worry for Krell, I imagine a lot is put in to revive the brand, and value, with this launch of many products; it might just be a make or break for the company. A quarter of followers probably went with Dan when he left Krell.

Next, what do you pair them with that is representative of the amps? Krell speakers?

I reckon lots of marketing will be done, and we will see Krell more in magazines, online banners, etc, for the next year.

Just FYI, I'm in a position where I am hoping Krell to do well: Grew up in a time where people were talking mainly on three brands: mark Levinson, McIntosh, and Krell. We've obviously seen Krell gone quiet the last couple of years... Mark Levinson has been labelled by a slightly advanced, rebadged Crown, which some swear by this. Blasphemy or not, I've not investigated. Possible? Why not- both under Harman, and three times I've heard from industry professionals, of course in the time where Mr Levinson was in the company, there was much marketing fluff that some people have shared and uncovered over the years... McIntosh went under D&M for a while, but came out better than before. Some mentioned that McIntosh MX121 was a rebadged denon, but once you pop the cap, it looks entirely different inside, and much more sophisticated, it of course also sounded different.

I just hope the good guys at Krell know what they are doing, after the drastic change in identity.

Time will tell. Time will tell.

Cheers!

Enit.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado