View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia View Post
George Flush,

You cannot control volume in DF-65, nor with DG-58 (directly and easily, only by going on menu and set level).
That is a sad reality, and in my opinion an omission, for these units.

If you only have digital sources you can connect the system all in digital like this:

DP-xyz --->(digital) DG-58 --->(digital) DF-65 and then in analog to amplifiers.
The level will be set in digital by the source, and if done well there will be no particular problems.

The DF unit only acts as an active crossover. For corrections, you need a DG unit.
And in my experience regarding my DG-58, a "last 10%" scenario is the ideal field for the DG-58 unit. Don't ask him to correct badly problematic systems, for those cases, more technological advanced solution like Dirac will work better. But in an already correct and good system, a DG-58 can surely give that last mile of greatness.

I was on the same boat, and for a while I set the level with my old DP-75. It worked well and I didn't experience any particular quality problem with my usual 16/44 material at my usual SPL.
But then the upgrade bug got me and I acquired a C-2420 that I basically use *just to set volume*.

Spdif. HSLINK is only between Accuphase units.

And that, in my opinion, is another slight problem of the DG-58: only 1 coax, 1 optical (and 1 HS Link) input.
(If you use for example a DC-901 as a source, you can put the DG-58 in a digital out-in loop, and then all digital inputs of the 901 -and there are many- will be processed by DG-58.)
Another alternative would be to purchase an old Accuphase digital preamplifier, DC-300 or DC-330: you'll get many inputs, a digital loop for DG-58, and a very nice digital volume control. Then you can output a digital signal to DF-65.
A million thanks!!!

It would be quite complicated and expensive (very expensive) to put all this stuff together...I'll buy the DEQX unit.

It's just plain sad, Accuphase probably has the highest quality products in the world, especially their class A amplifiers.
They could use a higher power processor for DSP or even put another one in DF-65 for room correction and omit the DG-58, and also add a digital volume control to the unit, then give you the option of buying a second DF-65 for twice the processing power and better sound quality (like Linn does with the Katalyst Klimax Exakt crossovers), but one digital active crossover without volume control, another unit for room correction and a separate analog preamplifier (all current Accuphase preamps are analog only) makes no sense because everything is done in the digital domain (no logical place to add an analog preamp) and adds a ton of money to the equation...I just don't get it, so close and so far at the same time.
The DEQX HDP-5 has everything in one box, including an ethernet connection and Roon support...it's the best move for me right now.

Thanks for clarifying this, hope you have a nice day.

EDIT: They also use ESS9018S chips in DF-65...seems that they designed it for ESS9018, then the new chips come up and instead of changing the design to put the top of the line ESS9038 PRO, they just swapped the chip for the ESS9018S (same pins and compatible with ESS9018 sockets)...it's just sad.

Last edited by George Flush; 08-15-2017 at 11:37 AM.