Thread: Dynaudio Forum
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Here's my maple Dynaudio Contour S3.4s with their grilles on back with my first C-J system, a PV12 preamp and my venerable Premier 11A power amp. I liked the maple look so much I replaced the coffee table with an Ikea Scandanavian design "birch effect" table, which looks almost identical in color to the maple. The Contour line is just below the Confidence line, but higher in performance and quality of construction than the Focus lline.

The Contours 3.4s cut quite an elegant profile. Without my REL, the left speaker is flat to 30 Hz in this setup, believe it or not, I mean flat, not 3 dB down or anything. The right speaker on is flat to 40 Hz w/o the REL, but it has a short wall 10 ft in front of it you can't see in the way. I usually slide the right speaker into an angled position across the room and sit along the diagonal for critical listening to get the right speaker not to fire into this wall, but instead down the corridor that leads to the bedrooms. The system sounds better in this configuration and measures better, too. I'll post a pic tomorrow when I have some nice light in the room.

Joe, for your reference, the speakers in this setup are about 30" from the wall behind. Speakers are 7 ft apart and I sit 9 feet away from them, but I sit at diagonal across the space.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-30-2011 at 11:52 PM.