Thread: Mp 1100
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
Wasn't GNR Chinese Democracy supposed to be an excellently recorded album with minimal compression? Didn't some famous mastering engineer say just that? I've never heard it myself but have been meaning to pick up a copy as of late.
I don't know anything about that. It sounds great on CD. But as I had originally (not most recently) mentioned, I think I have a bad piece of vinyl. It's actually a double album so two bad pieces of vinyl. There are just a gazillion tracks layered to the sky on this recording. I believe it cost a fortune and how ever many years to complete.

I'll tell you a funny but true story about this record, though. Originally Chad Wackerman did the album on drums. He came up with all of it and recorded it. Then somewhere in all the production, Axl had a falling out with Chad. He brought in another drummer who goes by the name of Brain.

Brain listens to it and tells Axl he could re-cut the drums and take Chad off the album. But Axl says he doesn't just want another drum track on all the tunes, he wants Chad's drum parts on the records -- just not with Chad playing them.

Brain considers all this and replies to Axl he'll do it .... for x amount of money. I don't know what that figure was. It was a lot of work and a lot of money, though. But Brain had to transcribe every single note, every inflection, the tuning and tone of the drums and cymbals, etc. to exactly mimic what Chad had already recorded. I mean, it's insane.

But that's the story of the drums on this album. It's a recreation, like those painters who will do a Mona Lisa that's identical (better if you want it) to the original. That's the craziest Axl story I have ever heard, but I don't exactly have my ear to the ground. Ha.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 06-20-2017 at 01:17 AM.