View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 05:04 PM

How big are the DeVore 9's?

The 25Hz free air resonance Altecs drivers really like ~10 cubic feet (250-300L). The Valencias and Flamencos only have about 5.8 & 6.0 cubic feet respectively so don't expect much extension below 50Hz. However, the bass quality is quick, natural, dynamic, and tactile due the light paper cone and high strength Alnico V magnet structure. The low travel driver also presents a nice load to tube amplification.

I find the one thing that is really right about them is the mid-range to be honest - as well as dynamics and speed - so I'm not sure how to compare to what you have going on. The HF compression driver and horn is really more of a mid-range and picks up from about 1KHz to 10KHz where is starts to roll-off pretty fast and is pretty much nonexistent by 16KHz. This is my primary issue with the Altec platform. The best way to remedy this would be to add one of the two top Fostex Supertweeters which just sit on top of the cabinet - look for the brass body. Then just add a cap to crossover at 10KHz. This is my long-term solution to add that top bit of sizzle back to symbols, high hats, etc.

As far as the crossovers go, then hell yeah swap those half of a century old crossovers out of there. I built mine from scratch as per the Altec schematic and reverse engineering a sacrificial pair of N-800-F units. For something turn-key I think the Mast Mutter units look awesome for what it is worth. The stock crossover unit - and domestically sized cabinets - are the main points to address with these speakers. I haven't seen Mast Mutter list anything as of late but for ~$500 it is a no brainer. The stock crossover sounds pretty good at low volumes but congeals, compresses, and gets shouty when pushed. It uses electrolytic capacitors, two crappy inductors placed side-by-side, and has the "L-Pad" variable resistor which are all limitations. And if you want to replace your captive OEM wire you have to replace the crossover for the most part.

As Valencias usually have mauled front fretwork I'd consider having a nice 250-300L cabinet made. The port size can be obtained from a table in the Altec Loudspeaker document I posted above.

My top 3 upgrades in order of bang-for-the-buck are:

1) speaker stands / tables
2) crossovers & wire
3) brass internal hanging hardware w/ washers to dampen the horn

Hope that helps.

-Josh

Last edited by junker; 10-10-2015 at 01:49 AM.