View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Most appreciated.

Since day one of owning my N10, I had been using the Synergistic Research power cord up until now. Since I’m on a roll with Shunyata now with the recent purchase of two Denali v2 power conditioners (stunning in both my stereo and AV systems), I e-mailed Grant of Shunyata about what his suggestion would be and if their $1500 Alpha NR would be the best choice. Surprisingly, Grant recommended a Venom V14 Digital power cord which lists for only $200. Here is what he said about it:

“I too own the N10. My suggestion would be to purchase or evaluate a Venom Digital NR power cord. This has an added level of filtration called Common Mode Noise filtering. It works by further cancelling digital-signal generated noise. Given that the N10 does not depend on peak-current, the Venom Digital is likely the best performance power cord for all digital signal output electronics with the only exception being the DAC, which outputs an analog signal and is dependent on peak-current. The Venom Digital NR is only $200 and will out-perform any competitors power cord regardless of price on any digital-signal source--NAS, Server, Streamer, Transport, Clock etc.” BTW, Grant told me that he owns an Aurender N10 too.

In light of what he said, I am ordering one of these Venom power cords for my N10 and PS Audio SACD Transport. I’ll post my impressions once I get them.
Yes, this is what I would have recommended as well. You don't need a high-current power cord for low-current devices like the Aurender, streamers or network bridges. They are also great for the power suppliies for similar devices that use external "power bricks" or power supplies. I would also use them for powering routers, cable modems and Ethernet switches or fiber media convertors. And the specialized form of noise suppression that the Venom 14 Digital has brings specific advantages for these types of devices.

I have three Venom 14 Digital power cords in my system: powering the Mac Mini which serves as a Roon Core, one powering my Keces P3 linear power supply that powers my SOtM UltraNeo network bridge, and one powering the transformer brick that powers my Sonore OpticalModule fiber media convertor. They work very well for exactly the applications that Grant has described. They also work great on HDTVs, Blu-Ray disc players, Apple TVs, etc for video. The benefits they bring are quite visible.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-19-2019 at 01:10 PM.