View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 AM

Originally the main panel is grounded, and there is also a cold water ground, and the basement subpanel was grounded to the main but I was still getting ground noise. My electrician said that electricity likes to go to the ground (earth) and it likes to take the shortest path/least resistance. I suppose ground noise didn't like to go upstairs and a few hundred feet away because when I added an extra ground to the subpanel, it killed a ton of noise, but I had a huge noise problem. Since I had some audiophile outlets installed with a dedicated 10 gauge line and a 20 amp breaker I thought I'd go a step further and improve ground with either isolation or redundancy.

I'll ask my electrician to review the code, he's related to a master electrician that should be able to research code better. Your tip is appreciated. I definitely won't do a separate isolated ground now, but I'll research the code on having extra ground rods. I don't want to jeopardize future home inspections when I try to sell my house.