View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 11:56 AM

Default Still Cooking

I left the VK-42Se on continuously since 8/30/15 and she continued to improve in terms of warmth, dynamism, bass and treble extension. The soundstage is freaking huge and each instrument can be precisely located. I really cannot say that the differences between the siblings are great, but the VK-52SE ultimately has a just touch more soul in my opinion; it sounds less like a piece of electronics and the music just pours forth.

The rest of my system starting at the wall outlet is, as follows. Two dedicated 20 amp lines, two PS Audio outlets, two Shunyata Venom HC 20amp power cords to 2 Equitech Model 2Q line conditioners. The cd player is a Rega Isis. I am using B&W Matrix 802 Series 2 loudspeakers, which have been modified with all new crossovers caps and resistors and the removal of the protection circuit. The loudspeakers sit on Target Stands. Amplification consists of two Hypex NCore 400's on the midrange and tweeters and two Ghent Ice amps on the woofers. The Iceamps are fed into two Krell Bass Alignment models. All power cords are Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC models, most of the interconnects are Shunyata Anaconda Ztron Models (the rest being home brewed cables I made). All interconnects are balanced. Speaker cables are Shunyata Anacondas. There are VPI magic bricks on every component.

Once the VK-42SE warmed up, I have had to increase the volume setting to same level as I used to use with the VK-52SE. I am usually at 68-70 out of the 140 increments.

Today the VK-53SE arrived via FedEx. I should note that when I had attempted to pay for my upgrade with a debit card yesterday, BAT was unable to process payment and shipped my preamp back to me just on a promise that I would send a check! I did not even ask for this treatment and would have waited for my check to arrive. What a class operation. Also, the Production Manager, Vladimir Shutov, spent a good half an hour educating me on tube selection and replacement procedures. This is a stellar company that delivers the goods and has the service to back it up. My preamp was upgraded and replaced in about a week. My next installment will cover introduction of the VK-53SE into my system.

Last edited by Swelfelo; 12-13-2015 at 12:32 PM.