View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
How about it Ivan ....or David. Do either of you have a 450/150 in the works???
Hey Jason. Nope, I do not have a D150 + 450T on the radar yet. Though, I do now, because of purchasing the C1000, nearly have a complete second audio system - less speakers. So, it's not outside the realm of a possibility. However, I do not own and SACDs and I have yet to hear one.

Something I have considered is that after reading Bill's [o0OBillO0o] analysis on the matter, I am not inclined to embrace SACD, DSD or DXD at this time. Though, he did post another thread about the Zen and this has lobbied some interest when considering transferring some of my vinyl to digital and that you can create a DSD file. I do not know the ins and outs of the unit yet and fully understand it's opportunities and limits.

As for the MCD1100. Something I noticed early on is that when I operated the MB100 through C2500 that it would audibly announce track transitions with an annoying click/pop. Liken it to the transitions between vinyl tracks where you hear those snaps, cracks, pops and static sounds.

However, once I did as Dan suggested, connect the MB100 into the MCD1100, and this is while I still used the C2500, is that the click/pops disappeared and this also translated equally well into the C1000.

I PM'd Dan about this and this and I will paraphrase his comments:

"The clicks or snap sounds you were hearing through the C2500 is an issue with the DAC, firmware, and digital circuitry in the C2500 when it changes to different sampling rates. If you are listening to all 24/96 data streams, you will usually not experience any sounds between tracks but if the data stream goes from 24/96 to 24/88.2 or 24/192 the click or snapping sound seems to be noticeable as the DAC captures the new data rate. This was also an issue with some D100, C48, and C50 preamplifiers. I don't know if McIntosh has remedied this issue with firmware updates or not."

"The MCD1100 uses the ESS ES9018S 64 pin DAC and a more robust power supply and far better analog section than any of the other McIntosh digital components...Everything sent through its DAC's will come out sounding spectacular."

"What you are experiencing with your sound system as a whole is the total package. You are listening to top of the line premium components, the best McIntosh makes. Each component is complimentary to the next without acting as a performance bottleneck to any of the other components. Your preamps, power amps, and the MCD1100 source/DAC are fully balanced. This is just one of many reasons why the system is so silent. It has the blackest background from which the softest and tiniest of sounds emerge with clarity and a dynamic range capability well beyond most other components."

There you have it, Sir Dan has spoken! Case Closed.

Last edited by Golucid; 04-29-2015 at 02:26 PM.