View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trponhunter View Post
Theoretical versus practical when talking about the digital resolution loss versus the analog loss when using a pre amp. From my experience, the loss introduced by the analog pre amp is much greater. As I mentioned, I have done the direct a to b comparison ( in the same room, at the same time, on the same system, at the same volume) for over 15 years - done at a minimum of 30 times (most likely many more times than that). I have also yet to find anyone I have done the comparison for or have a different opinion as to the outcome. If using a proper recording that is simply miked and not processed - I have yet to find a pre amp addition improve things. I have used pre amps up to $30,000 when doing these comparisons. The most you can hope for is as little change as possibly when you insert the pre amp into the signal path. I know there are a lot of people who will disagree with these statements, but they are my opinion based on the comparisons I have experienced - not a theory of what will happen.
Likewise here. 25 years+ in high end audio, preamps tubed, solid state, passive and digital domain. My findings are opposite of yours. We will have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.