View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default C1000T tube rolling

Last night I opened the C1000T again. I have been listening to Telefunken 12AX7 tubes in the line stage, as well as both phono stages for the past two months or so. Since I am not using a turntable in the studio system, I pulled the Teles from both phono stages and returned the stock McIntosh tubes to those sockets. In the line stage sockets I installed Tung-Sol Gold Pin 12AX7 tubes, which I had been listening to before installing the Telefunken tubes.

I actually like the sound of the Tung-Sol Gold Pin 12AX7 tubes better than the Telefunken tubes. I believe I am hearing a slightly clearer, more detailed upper midrange from the Tung-Sol Gold pin tubes. By comparison to the Telefunken's, the Tung-Sol Gold Pins tubes seem to offer greater space between instruments and voices. I had been listening to the Tung-Sol's for about four months before putting the Telefunken tubes in the line stage. After two months with the Teles I felt I was missing some upper midrange detail. When I returned the Tung-Sol Gold Pin tubes back in the preamp's line stage the sound opened right back up. It wasn't a dramatic difference, but audible to me, especially in the frequency range of cymbals, chimes, violin, flute, and upper registers on acoustic guitar and piano. The Tung-Sol Gold Pin 12AX7 tubes just sound right to me.

I have tube rolled the stock McIntosh 12AX7 tubes, as well as Mullard, Tung-Sol, Tung-Sol Gold Pin, Philips, and Telefunken through the line stage in the C1000T preamplifier. It has been recommended that I try Siemens, and RCA black plate 12AX7 tubes. Right now I am finding great satisfaction with the Tung-Sol Gold Pin tubes. I have been told that the Tung-Sol tubes are noisy, but that is not the case for me in the C1000T, not even in the phono stages. They are velvety black quiet, solid in the bottom octaves, airy through the midrange, with an open and meticulously detailed upper frequency range.

One of the advantages of owning a tube preamplifier, as well as tube power amps, is the ability to tube roll, sampling the unique aural pleasures offered by the different tube manufacturers. I consider myself most fortunate to also own the solid state C1000P preamplifier and solid state power amplifiers as well, so I have a strong basis for comparison. Tube rolling is one of the special joys to indulge yourself with in this wonderful hobby.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-03-2010 at 06:41 PM.