View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 09:38 AM

The Revels work best for my ears at realistic listening levels. If the primary goal is to play very loud, they're capable of that up to a point but not the best choice as they have relatively low sensitivity and will begin to compress as they near 100dB SPL (maybe even a bit lower at my listening position...that'll be different in different scenarios)). I believe I hear that as a brightening of the sound. At realistic levels using good associated gear they are hard to beat. My room is fairly well damped.

Karl, when I auditioned them against D2s, I found the Revels smoother (seeming more laid back) than the B&Ws but they gave up nothing by way of definition and articulation. BTW, I wouldn't characterize the Salon 2s as "laid back" as a general characteristic, just when comparing to 800D2s. To my ears in that showroom, the B&Ws came off as forward by comparison. Is that your observation? I should add that the B&Ws were very dynamic, clear, open and exciting to listen to but I wondered if I might grow tired of what I perceived as an emphasis in the mid to upper midrange by comparison to the silkiness of the Salon2s. They're two very different sounding beasts.

I also had a pair of 105/3s with a Kube back in the 90s. Enjoyed them at the time but agree they were not bass monsters although they imaged very well.

So here's lots o' love for the Salon 2s, one of the best bargains in high end audio today, and also one of the very best speakers you can buy at any price. Two years years on they just keep making satisfying noises. No desire to upgrade them at this time if indeed a practical upgrade was even available which I'm not sure it is given my taste and requirements.

Last edited by Pampero; 06-06-2018 at 09:46 AM.