View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 09:02 PM

If FedEx is nice to me, this should be here Tuesday. I'm with you, planning on trying solid quads to start with. Shipping with GL KT66's. Have some NOS Marconi 6V6Gs also to try. Will also grab a quad of the GL KT77s, should be something quite different from the KT66/6V6 family. Last quad I may try is the Tung Sol 6550's. Brent Jessee seems to find used ones that "test new" for a reasonable price from I believe and he seems to be a reliable source. From what Dennis has said, the PSE drives the tubes gently so used 6550 should be good to go.[/QUOTE]

I have chassis envy. That is a beauty. I asked dennis about ASCOB amps before mine went to the powder coater. Did not get a response. Either way my Harley Black is awfully sharp.

Having heard the 45 in DH's listening room you are in for a real experience with the PSE. More Watts is only half of the difference between that SET and your new amp. DH's SEP circuit is something else altogether by itself. Don't get me wrong, that 45 does have some magic to it, just different magic.

As for tube selections in the PSE, I am tending to settle on the same power tubes I was most happy with in my KT amp. 6V6GTs have mids and soundstage that are unmatched in my system. I like the 6v6g as well, maybe not quite as much. Interestingly my PSE was tailored to the KT-88 tube but when I went to pick it up Dennis had a quad of KT-77s in it and said he was surprised that the 77s were running as if they were the targeted design OP tube. Pushing the same power as the 88s on the scope. Sonically I like the KT-77s and have yet to find a KT-88 that I was interested in keeping in the mix. Haven't tried the GL and unless someone loans me some NOS I will not be going that rout. I know many here have spoken highly of the dynamics of the KT-88 but I have not heard it. Maybe its my system, maybe its my ears. Who knows. I digress. I wonder if yours was tailored for the KT-66s he sent it with or just a happy alternative like the 77s in mine. He does that.

Anyway, you are in for a totally new experience with that PSE. I never thought I would own a system that sounded as true to the real thing, a real live musician playing a real instrument. Of course I thought the same of my Inspire KT as well. Thank you Dennis!!