View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 10:07 AM

Thanks, Randy. The real credit belongs to Bryan Pape, who, after reviewing the room photos and diagram I e-mailed to GIK, laid out the basic template during an extended phone conversation. While I had to modify the specific product selection mix to accommodate real-world considerations here, his advice was spot-on.

Not a little credit is also due my wife, whose willingness to forego what you might call a traditional living-dining-room esthetic made the project possible (leaving the final say on covering-fabric color and weave to her didn't hurt). As an example, I'd originally intended the floor-standing first-reflection-point 244s to be moved in and out of the room as the listening/non-listening situation dictated. But once they were in place and she heard what their presence effected, she said, "Leave them there, they look okay."

The scatter plates "work", teasing out previously masked midrange and upper-end detail and "air" and, in doing so, impart a greater sense of dimensionality, depth, openness, and intra-soundstage space even though they're all the way across the room from the speaker plane. Turns out that my ancient (don't ask) ears are in better shape than I thought, and the Living Stereo Mancini "Peter Gunn" sounds even more spookily present in the room than before.

Happy camper here.