View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 02:34 PM

Wink Ramble On

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Bill - If you can hear a difference between HDCD and regular redbook CD, you most certainly should hear a difference in SACD. I've never really understood the folks who say there is no difference between redbook and SACD. It's incredibly obvious to me and always has been. Now of course there are situations where the mastering of a standard CD is SO good that it may outweigh a poorly done SACD, but that would be the exception IMO. Discs like JVC XRCDs and Japanese mastered SHM CDs can get right there with SACDs.

I've had some experience with DVD-A on my former Ayre C5 xeMP disc player.....I thought the DVD-A discs sounded amazing but never directly compared them to the equivalent SACD...I don't think I ever had a copy of an album on both formats. If you're a classical and jazz lover, SACD is still a fantastic format.

- Buck
Buck..... As a native deep southerner, it's great to read something from a Dawg fan.

Your obvious experience with the different physical audio formats is most informative. Although there are clear exceptions to every rule, I'm not a huge classical fan. I do love Miles and jazz fusion, however, so your thoughts on how those genres were/are recorded are particularly interesting. There's one Patrick O'Hearn album we have in our collection -- which I believe is a regular CD -- that sounds pretty sweet out of our B&W N802 + N805 speaker (front/rear) setup. As the signature suggests, those speakers are being fed by our Mac MX130/MC300/MAC4200 amp combination, but, nevertheless, I like reading about other brands, as well. I love our old Mac stuff, but I'm not blind to other great brand names...point here being that I appreciate your words about the Ayre C5 xeMP.

Thinking about it more, your words about regular CDs that sound pretty good is bringing certain experiences back to me now. I was once in an audio room, back in the 80s, in which they were playing Supertramp's 'Brother Where You Bound' album. It was also a regular CD -- and it sounded fantastic! In the end, the only true comparison would be to listen to the same material recorded in two or more formats...hmmm...

We also have just about everything that Jean-Luc Ponty has ever recorded in our collection. Although we own quite a few CDs, of all kinds, I do believe that all of his stuff is on regular CDs...and to say that it sounds great is a clear understatement...but now I'm rambling.

Here's a question for you that clearly dates me: What do you mean, exactly, by "redbook"? Given the context, I would guess that its a rating that places one regular CD over another, but I'd appreciate some words on this. Is there actually a way to determine if a given CD is a Redbook CD?

Looking forward to your response

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections

Last edited by 70sMac; 08-07-2020 at 02:37 PM.