View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
Which do you prefer? When I first bought a multi-channel system, I was in love with the extra spaciousness and overall realism. However,I just hooked up my Sony XA5400ES via XLR and couldn't believe how good it sounds! I definitely prefer it in that mode to my Oppo 105--just sounds more natural and detailed. This experiment has also made me reconsider the advantages of multi-channel sound. Yes, it is more spacious, and if properly done, makes one feel like he's in a concert hall (for classical music, which comprises 99% of my listening), but now I'm starting realize that the extra spaciousness often comes at the expense of details and imaging. Mind blown! I think I'll use the Sony in stereo for RBCDs and SACDs, with the Oppo reserved for movies and Blu-ray audio discs. Now, if only I could talk my wife into a new Esoteric or Krell SACD player! (I had previously scoffed at super-high end players since most are stereo only.)
Interesting to hear this comment from you John since I know that you really enjoy the multi-channel classical SACDs.

I've never heard a good multi-channel system. but I can say that given the right recording, my two-channel system sounds very good for acoustic music and I don't feel like I'm missing surround sound. I figure that when I'm in a concert hall the sound comes mainly from the front.

You can get a Krell SACD Standard player for under $2,000. I had one and I really enjoyed its sound. However, these Krell players are getting dated now.