View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The Special 25 are well, special. The Special Edition Dyns tend to be a bit more, shall we say, forward? than the non-SE versions. They tend to be more analytical and are noted for being less forgiving of source content. That being said, they can be made to perform superbly. What's required, however, is:
1) A superb room, i.e., large enough not to be overpressurized by those big Evidence woofs and very well-implemented acoutical "management".
2) Current/Power/Damping: That big Evidence woof needs current/power/damping factor to bring it to it's best potential. An ET250S or Premier 350 or your Burmester would be the hot setup here; the CA200 would work well, too. A triode MV60, fuggedaboudit!
3) Optimal setup....a combination of just the right room, placement, and components.

The S25s require careful implementation of all these to be at their best, but can be very rewarding if you can bring all these parameters together.

Personally, I think the C1 Sig will be better suited to your needs. They'll be sweeter sounding on more and a broader range of content, and less finicky about room, placement, setup and components.
PC, I think that sums it up pretty well. The highs (musical heights, not frequencies) are, well...pretty Special indeed. But this speaker needs ALL of those things.

Don't get me wrong; they still sound pretty, damn great, even with just a touch of help. But I also think about C1 (mkIIs), as they are...IMO...more forgiving, less temperamental, and better in the near-field (my room is a bit small at the moment).

That being said, one of the things I was told by the guy who lived with them side-by-side for a number of months (I know you know who I'm talking about...this is for everyone else...lol)...is if you're the type of audiophile, who still needs to re-live and relieve your inner-16-year-old...and crank up the Floyd or Zep, along with the Melody Gardot; Special 25s are for you.

I am such an audiophile!