View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 11:31 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVphile View Post
Earlier this year, I spent a fair amount of time evaluating various music streamers. At the end, my two finalists were the Cary Audio DMS-600 and the Lumin T2. I finally purchased the T2 for two reasons: unnecessary functionality (such as the 600’s ability to serve as an external DAC and price, which was, in effect, the consequence of that incremental functionality. I don’t have buyer’s remorse, but I strongly recommend, if possible – it wasn’t in my case – to listen carefully to both units.

The T2 is very accurate/clinical, most likely because of its employment of the ESS/Sabre 9028 DAC. I suspect that the 600’s use of the AKM DAC results in a warmer and softer sound. I say that because I also have a Roon Nucleus+ which I have connected via a Shunyata HDMI cable directly to my Theta Casablanca IV preamplifier/DAC, and there is no question that the Roon/Theta combination sounds better with vocals, whereas the Lumin T2 excels at the reproduction of string instruments and orchestras.

I am pleased to have read that those who purchased the Cary Audio music streamers are happy with their purchases.
Thanks for the detailed account. I am also considering the T2.