View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 PM

Talking Thanks for the plug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFz View Post
Forum member FranklinLG has a pair of O96's with a Shindo Masseto and Sophia 300B monos and I believe he's enjoys them very much. He wrote a review linked below.

A rumble in the jungle « Get lost in analogue

I've also read on the Audiogon forums from people who have the Haut Brion and O96 combo who also found the bass to be a bit heavy.
CFz,

Thanks for the plug. And to the AA compliance police please note that I get NO revenue from the blog!

In any event, I had an opportunity to chat with Les about the concerns. I can't say that I agree with people that these are bass heavy. But I am mindful that everyone's rooms and space will have appreciable impact on any speakers performance. And these speakers are no different!

As for placement, isn't that always key? These speakers lend themselves to easy adjustment moving closer or further from the rear wall and in turn providing more or less direct bass. Since I have wood floors I have the stands (like everything else in my home) on felt pads. So they move VERY easily. I also think the felt helps provide a bit of isolation from the flooring.

In terms of listening? Well, I love these speakers and the way they resonate with the music. They are emotional and engaging. After more than 8 months with them my opinions continue to become more passionate and favorable.

But I am seriously interested in John's big brother version to this whenever that comes out. Remember, this is supposed to the the middle of the orangutan lineup. John is supposedly working on the baby brother at this time, and then will get to the big brother. So if history is any indication, I fully expect the big brother to be even more intoxicating!

In sum, highly recommended!

J

PS a few months ago I separated my HT from my audio. I still use the Os with both, but now I run separate cables to the Os for each system. The Audio is ALL tube. And the HT is SS. After about 2+months with the SS, I can say that the Os do very well with SS! I still don't use a lot of wattage, and what wattage exists with the SS is poorly implemented. A purported 95 class D watts, that is more than likely the equivalent of 30 class A watts.