View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Sure, to some extent. I guess you don't subscribe much to cables making a difference, though.

But I get why someone would look at them and think they're overpriced. They're dainty. That's probably the first thing I thought when I saw them and heard the price a few months ago.

Given the choice between 2 identical stands, I'd probably choose the one with the attributes Ton Trager employees as long as the price paid for those "better" stands seemed commensurate with the added cost of those attributes.

In any case, my hesitation with them is the fear the speakers could could get bumped off small columns that look barely the size of a dime. Otherwise, I think they're attractive with their diminutive appearance and finish.
I’ve played the “cable game” extensively for 30 years. I know which cables make a difference and to what extent. Let’s just say the cables are not high on my priority list of “upgrades” anymore but I’m not exactly using a lamp cord either.

If earthquakes are a concern then any stand mounted speaker is not the best choice and Tontrager especially. Of course living on the west coast expecting a “big one” wouldn’t stop me from from doing it as surely there would be other more pressing concerns than a pair of speakers to begin with.
Life is too short to worry about “what if scenarios” and has a way of throwing curve balls that eclipse all other small concerns such as a pair of speakers.

The Tontrager synergy is very strong with Harberh but it doesn’t change the fundamental strengths of Harbeth speakers. The speaker placement in the room, room/speaker interaction and the rest of system synergy takes precedence but the stands put a finishing touch and bring about a more relaxed, organic presentation and other elusive qualities that to my ears seem to be missing with metal stands. It is a more meaningful improvement than cable swaps. I’ll just leave it here.