View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Ray.......The Technics SL-1200 turntable's primary claim to fame is its direct drive platter. It has a high torque motor that comes up to speed in less than 1/5th a rotation, perfect for DJ's and back cueing LP's. It stands up to abuse from DJ's who beat the hell out of the turntable by letting LP's slip, back dragging and rocking LP's on the platter, etc. It has been a well received turntable among many beginners because of its original low price and DJ notoriety. That's all well and good. I'm not saying it is a bad turntable, just nothing special beyond the high torque direct drive motor. The new Technics turntables are three time the original SL-1200 price. That in and of itself would not be a big deal if the new turntable was three times better than its predecessor but that doesn't seem to be the case when you look at what the new tables offer. With the SL-1200GAE you get a magnesium tonearm instead of the standard aluminum tonearm, a numbered platter, a different color plinth and a few changes to the feet. The standard Technics SL-1200G gets an aluminum tonearm, same as the original. I am reminded of the old Wendy's commercial, "Where's the BEEF?" It is still essentially the same SL-1200 of yesterday with only minor changes and a huge price increase. I just don't see the value when comparing it to many other turntables at $4k and less that offer a more refined playback system. I can only speak for myself so don't let my opinion sway anyone. I am sure there are plenty of people who think the new Technics SL-1200G and SL-1200GAE are the cat's meow. No doubt Technics will sell a boat load on them.
Excellent post. Thanks for the education.