View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles View Post
Which Modwright modified player, Oppo BPD105 or Sony SCD-XA5400ES, would have better sound quality (CD or SACD)?
miles - I'm not sure if anyone here on AA owns a ModWright Oppo 105 yet, so I don't believe anyone can directly answer your question in terms of a direct comparison.

I know from speaking with Dan that the modified 95 and 5400ES were very equivalent in performance. The modifications to the 105 raise the bar over the 95, that much I do know. A big part of the difference is related to the newly redesigned external power supply, which is both tube rectified and tube regulated now. The 95 can be retrofitted with the updated power supply, and I would be surprised if that wasn't an option for the Sony as well.

It would be worth sending Dan Wright an email or giving him a call and asking him directly. If you do, please post a follow-up and share what you have learned.

I plan on being able to directly report on a comparison between the ModWright 95 and 105 in my system in the next month.
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables