View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
I listened to the Magico S5 now almost a year ago, at a dealer in Munich at the same time the highend show was on. I very much liked the way they played music.
Later that year I got a good deal on a pair of Magico V3's and never looked back, in my room the low frequency energy is excellent with the V3's and I am wondering if the S5 would be too much in that perspective.
Anyway, I like the way the new S5 looks, with a big plus that you can choose the color you want.

One thing about the S5 I find a bit strange, a few years ago when the V3's came out, all the reviews were mentioning that the first prototype of the V3 had a flat baffle and that later Alan Wolf insisted on a rounded baffle because that was enhancing the performance a lot. And now the the S series are there all with a flat baffle.

Wondering if this is a compromise money/design wise ?

Olaf
Olaf, yes I would say without a doubt the convential flat front baffle is a cost-saving measure. Magico also directly mount the drivers onto the heavy front baffle, instead of onto the complex internal skeleton in the Q series. In regard to the overall design of the V & Q series, yes they use a rounded front baffle, but the cabinet itself is a box shape. More important in my view is the S5's rounded front edges & cabinet shape which reminds me of my old Infinity Rensaissance 90 with their rounded front edges & trapezoidal shape which was designed to eliminate cabinet diffraction and smearing, provide excellent sound staging & mimick the effect of their dipole speakers. The most sophisticated cabinet shape i've experienced is Avalon who amaze me. But as they say, it's all about the final equation.

In regard to your concern that the S5's might be a bit too boomy in a small-medium size room, yes I had those initial concerns as well. My concerns were allayed however by this helpful post from another thread on the S5's - http://www.audioaficionado.org/426090-post125.html

Regards,