View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 02:28 AM

Charles:
The XVX is a remarkable speaker. I heard it at Innovative audio last month which the eminent recording engineer and Wilson ambassador Peter McGrath presented with Dag Momentums, the same amps he uses in his home system like Dave Wilson did in his home system. Those suckers are just Dag fanboys who never heard Mac gear. I know you know better. Now go get 'em.

P.S. Although I did not use the word scrim in this thread, that word precisely defines the effect that Mac gear has on sound--- as if a very fine, but slightly opaque run of fabric was draped over the speakers to smooth out the sound and obscure microdetail. I used all silver cables from Kimber when I had my Mac system to balance (brighten) what I felt was perhaps a too smooth (although lovely) sounding amp--but I did not realize until later that cables can only "tune" what the amp presents. That is, I could brighten the smooth sound but could not recover the microdetail that never hit the speaker cables. By transparent, I don't mean harsh, I mean more real. Your speakers are the best I've ever heard. I'm sure they sound fabulous in your system. But I can assure you that the overwhelming majority of audiophiles who have heard speakers of that calibre with Dag, Constellation, Soulution, Dartzeel, Pass, Gryphon and other more transparent, albeit much more expensive, amps would agree that you are driving a Ferrari with snow tires. Uh oh---here he comes....
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,