View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Post Exchanged the Panasonic UB820 to the Higher-End Panasonic UB9000 ...

Greetings,

Okay, I just yesterday got the text and call from the local G/M (Ben) at Best Buy that the Panasonic UB9000 did come in on the truck.

So, loaded-up the Panasonic UB820 I had to take in for Credit.
Then that Credit went towards the purchase of the UB9000.
Have to say that meeting Ben Sams again was just as much fun as the 1st time we met when I purchased the UB820 from him.
He is certainly a 100%, "Stand-Up-Guy" .........
After we completed everything in regards to the UB820 & UB9000 he took me back to one of the Magnolia Demo Rooms to demo some of the new/latest speakers they now have.
And he did crank it up so there was no-doubt at all that they would Rock & Roll.
We chatted for awhile and he said to me, Terry even if your not needing anything drop by and say hello on occasions.

Well, let's get down to the new/latest UB9000 and what I think.
I'll make this short and to the point.
It is without doubt a night and day's difference between the UB820 & UB9000 in build quality.
The UB820 is like a Super-Light-Weight (Walmart-Special) that if it were to stop working you would just throw it away and go get another.
Note* (Not really all that bad guy's so don't PANIC but seriously you cannot compare the two units in build-quality).

I do want to mention some names, Craig, Chuck, Mike, Mark, Kris for your information and advise guys as always it's appreciated.

The way I did the install after thinking about how to go about it was the following method.
I watched multiple You-tube install videos and instantly noticed the set-up menus were very-very similar for both players.
Also the rear of them was very similar.
So, I decided after watching those videos to sit down, power up my system, and take close-up pictures of every Set-Up-Menu for my UB820.
I took a picture of where the cables plugged in the rear of it just to be safe.
Then when I UN-Boxed the UB9000 it was simply a matter of going through each on screen menu and looking at the picture of each on my Samsung cellphone.
When I got to a menu that had different choices it was simple as I had already seen them about the UB9000 in the videos so knew what to choose.
The set-up went exceptionally smooth .............

Something I did do for those that might be interested I got Cathy (Wife) to come to the H/T and watch with me the redone Blade Runner in 4K HDR.
I knew it had the Darker shadows as well as BRIGHT scenes I wanted to see.
What I did do to get Cathy's opinion was to turn On & Off the "Optimizer" feature.
And for those interested it was (instantly) an improvement guys with the RS4500 as a stand alone base Laser projector.
(No Panamorph Lens or Lumagen)
The picture guys was OUTSTANDING !!!
So if you happen to be a poor fellow like myself this UB9000 with it's added features for a projector might very well be something to consider.
Think of it like this, Retail for Lumagen $5K or this Panasonic UB9000 for $1K US dollars.
Note* I am not in anyway suggesting that the UB9000 will or does or can perform like the Lumagen as that's just not even the case.

Something I have picked-up on that I feel I should mention before moving on.
And really after watching and listening multiple times myself and sitting back thinking about it, it does actually make perfect sense.
I set mine on the selection for Luminance at, "Basic Luminance Projector".
But, here is what I have found out guys, if I were to select one of the other Brighter Luminance Selections the "Optimizer" would be of little to No-Benefit.
It's also of little benefit to the much-much brighter Flat Screen T/V's as they are so BRIGHT that the "Optimizer" feature has little to No effect on improving the picture.
If though you have a projector like the JVC RS4500 that doesn't produce Huge Brightness like say the Sony ES5000 then this UB9000 is a really good choice I think.

Well, I'm not a Kris Deering or Chad B or any of the other Pro's on AVS that could explain what I attempted above but hopefully you get the general idea.

As I said above we both watched the below 4K HDR movie and I did turn On & Off the "Optimizer" feature and it did make a noticeable improvement.
Thank-You Tom Cochran for the below 4K HDR movies buddy.

Below are the pictures I took as I am a guy that believes pictures add so much to other members in a post.

I just finished boxing up the UB820.
And as it turned-out it still had the batteries in the plastic, as well as the remote, and all packing just as I received it from Best Buy.
I originally ordered a Back-lighted remote to use with the UB820.

Just arrived at Best Buy maybe a 20-minute drive.
If your wondering I'm parked all the way in the furthest parking area as always.
As I WARN people don't ride with me if you have any physical impairments.

And now I'm meeting Ben Sams.

Ben had one of his Manager's do the return and Ben is holding up the Best Buy Gift-Cards to use on the UB9000 purchase.

Ben took me back to the Magnolia Center where the Panasonic UB9000 was.
Something interesting was the look on their faces when they picked-up the UB9000.
It's as I recall like 17-Lbs. compared to 5 Lbs. for the UB820.

I did elect to purchase the 4-year extended warranty for $80.00 US Dollars which provides Full-Replacement or Credit if purchased in the Magnolia Area.

And of course I wanted in on the picture thing.

I decided to take the Bad-Boy-Machine, Audi RS3 out to exchange the players.
Here is the UB9000 getting ready for the drive back to it's new H/T.

Leaving Best Buy.

Back home and in the H/T ready to start the UN-Boxing and Set-Up.

Here it is actually mounted in the rack.

Here was something that caught my Attention.
The pictures might not show this clearly.
When my selection was on DVD/BD.
The VIDEOS symbol was Lit-Up in Yellow.
Since the 4K HDR BD was the correct Selection.
I changed it and it Lit-Up then in Red.

As you can see I Selected, "ON" for the "Optimizer" feature.

I also Selected, "Basic Luminance Projector" which is actually, 350 Nits.
This ^^^ along with the "Optimizer" work great with the RS4500.

That's all the pictures and information guys.
I know for the Pros this post will be of no use but maybe for a member that has not lots of experience this might possibly be helpful, maybe ???

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, August 25th 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Marantz Pre-Amp Processor: ... AV8805
Panasonic DP-UB9000 New ... HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray Player:
Roku: New ... 2022 Ultra HD-4K-HDR-Atmos Streaming Player
JVC RS4100 New ... Laser Projector
Lumagen Radiance Pro New ... 4242 18G Ultra HD Video Processor
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
JML Speakers ... 2-JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, 2-Side Utopia, 2-Rear Mini Utopia
Focal Sopra ... Center Channel
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofers New ... 4 PB-16 ULTRA Subs
Transparent Speaker Cables ... Transparent TW Plus HP 10-2 W/Plus Bricks
Classe' Amps ... 2-CA201, 1-CAM-350, 2-CA-M400
ATI AT526NC New ... ATI AT526NC 6 Channel Amp for
6 Triad Atmos in-ceiling speakers
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Richard Gray Power Conditioners New ...
1- RGPC-1200S, 9-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
Eaton ... Ultimate Home Surge Protection
CRITEC TDX100M New ... Modular Series Home Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM ... Active Thermal Management Cool Stack 1 Exhaust Fan Assembly
Home Theater Component Mid Atlantic Rack ... Slide-Out 50" Track
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic ... Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating ... Ekornes Stressless Wave
Rosco Velour Black 6003 ... 2-coats of Black primer.
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html