View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 AM

I have a friend that has a 2018 JK Rubicon and my sister bought a 2019 JL Sport (both 4 door versions). Currently the JK does have a ton more aftermarket support, but I am sure the JL will get there.

I have helped my friend do new all new lighting, a full stereo (head unit, all speakers, sub, amp), and front bumper. Everything was super easy to do, except for some of the head unit wiring but that was just because I have been out of the mobile audio game for too long and didn't realize how many extra harnesses and stuff you wire in to keep your existing steering wheel controls etc. these days. It is comfortable enough I suppose, but not anywhere I would want to be for more than 3 hours or so.

My sister's JL on the other hand is much nicer inside than my friend's JK. The freedom tops on the hard top (panels over the driver and front passenger) are much easier to take out on the JL than the JK. My sister bought the soft top as well for hers and has a pulley system to basically lift the hard top off and store it hanging from the ceiling of her garage in the summer. It takes a total of 8 bolts, unplug one wiring harness and the rear window washer line to get the hard top ready to lift off, super easy. She did actually have a case of the "death wobble" as mentioned earlier which the dealer fixed by replacing the steering stabilizer with a revised unit. She is normally not one to drive in snow, she usually calls me if she needs to pick up her daughter early from school due to bad weather. Yesterday she took the Jeep by herself on snow covered roads and said it handled perfectly.

The JK was a proven platform by 2018 and yeah, the JL is still fresh and new, but its not like this is the first time Jeep has built a Wrangler. If it were my money I would go with the JL. The only disappointing thing with the JL is they reduced the size of the front speakers so now without major customization the stereo will never have as much potential as the one in the JK.