View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Retired

Only with the VK-33 series of preamps. I'm a fan of the 6922/6JD8 tube, so prefer the standard series with 6 of them compared to the SE version with 2 of the 6H30 tube. Can always add the 'SE' items like 6-pack caps, etc. Not sure what else, but if like Conrad-Johnson, the SE version will use teflon coupling & power supply caps, which are quite expensive. To my ears, the SE version of the CJ is noticeably superior to the standard version. If were me, would go with the VK-55SE. Listening to the SE and standard version side-by-side at the dealers may not show same. Teflon caps need an unusual amount of time to form/break-in. The last set of teflon caps I used were horrible for the first 200+ hours and only truly broken-in after twice that. But, the sound was well worth the wait. As always with BAT, give them a call and talk to them about the differences. My experience is that they are always happy to help. Also, believe the standard amp can be upgraded to the SE at some later date if you want to go with the latest version.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 01-23-2018 at 08:24 PM.