View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 12:08 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by timztunz View Post
Very anxious to get some more information on these panels! Have heard nothing but great things!
I'm thinking what here and at the cableco. is being calling "Aperture II" is, designwise, the same panel we've known for the last few years. There is no mention on the Stillpoints Web site about a new or version II. The descriptions here and elsewhere of what they are and what they do are the same as they've always been. Search the Web for 'Aperture II' and you won't find a description of version 1 vs 2 or a list of changes in a new version. If there were such, we'd have heard about those. Standard audiophilia nervosa insists on newest versions + keeping the product fresh in front of the public.

I believe Stillpoints did switch to a different manufacturer of the Apertures and that is the reason behind the "II". Knowing how meticulous and perfectionist Paul Wakeen is, it would not be surprising if the new manufacturer is doing a better and/or more consistent quality job. The msrp from when they first came out has gone up ~$150 - they are not cheap to make and not just anyone can make them. The new price may reflect inflation + costs from the new manufacture. I also believe the "new patents" are not new in the sense of new vs old, but reflect the granting (finally) of a patent(s) to the Aperture - the patent process can take a long time. If there is contrary evidence, we'd all be happy to hear it - I have no problem being wrong about my account.

Back in 2014 I was an early adopter and today the Apertures remain the foundation of acoustic treatment in my room. You can read my coverage here on AA. The Aperture was designed by a master acoustician who works commercially - among other work, he designed ways to make motor noise quieter in the cabin of the Space Shuttle. I would not hesitate to order today - in all honesty I don't think one needs more information than what is currently available to have confidence the Aperture is a quality product that is highly effective.

Last edited by tima; 11-05-2018 at 12:15 AM.