Thread: Mp 1100
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCenthusiast View Post
Our systems are quite similar. I'm now using a pair of contemporary MC75's with Canterbury SE's as well. I alternate between Kleos, EMT and Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum cartridges. The Koetsu is.3mv and might benefit from the additional gain of a step up. Your cartridge is lower output still. I don't think the 4 db increase of the MP1100 would be enough to drive your SPU optimally and Auditorium23 makes excellent step ups. I use one with a Garard and EMT JSD6 in my vintage system.

I agree that while the Mc phono stages may well be of similar design, there are too many differences between them: specs, tube versus solid state and dual mono versus stereo to credibly state that they are the same. The MP1100 appears to be the most refined of all.

Since you have dual mono amps, a move to a dual mono pre-amp like the C1100 might be a compelling path for you to entertain. I think you'd see more significant gains across the board. Look forward to hearing what you decide to do.
I decided to go for it. I carefully queried my dealer about whether the 64 db gain would be sufficient for my particular moving coil cartridge. He said, yes. I also casted about on the internets and discovered a guide that confirmed this, indicating that my .2mv output matches ideally to exactly 64 db gain. That did it for me. I will say, however, that the transition from the A23 Hommage SUT to the MP1100 has resulted in a change at the volume knob.

Off the top of my hat, I'd say that what's now 1 o'clock on the dial was the old 11 o'clock on the dial. I used to have a gas pedal that was about four inches off the floor and now it is about five (actually, the math would suggest 4.72) inches off the floor. Something like that. But who is to say where the truer baseline should be. Bottom line, it's up and running great - no problems.

I plan to come back with a full review. Sneak preview, I am way, way delighted with it. It's blowing my mind how great it is!

By the way, I have my pF (capacitance) setting at 150 and the ohms at 200. If anybody has anything to say about that, chime in. From what I'm reading on the web, the capacitance is more related to the cables and their length (1 meter for me) than the cartridge, per se. As for ohms, my spec sheet shows .2mv output with suggested ohm setting at >100. I could set it right at 100 ohms but my dealer suggested 200 ohms.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 06-14-2017 at 05:38 PM.