View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 11:38 PM

Default Audioquest Silver Interconnects

Hi All! I have recently overhauled my entire audio setup. The only thing left in the near run is to figure out for me is balancing soundstage, depth, and clear highs.

My current setup (for 2ch):
Amp: MC452
Pre/Pro: Marantz 8805 (planning to add a dedicated 2ch pre down the road)
Speakers: Martin Logan Impression 11As
Cables: Speaker AQ Oak, Interconnects AQ Oak / AQ Niagara

I am using Tidal Hifi FLAC through HEOS. But also tried direct DAC pre to MC452 to make sure it wasn’t the sound signature of the Marantz or MC452.

By playing around with different cables and sources, I have narrowed down the interconnects to be the area which makes the biggest difference. With the Earth cables (unbalanced), I get insane sound stage, mids and lows, but at times muted highs. With some music, especially instrumental jazz, it’s amazing. But toss in some vocals or classical music, and things change a bit. The highs are just a tad too laid back.

I decided to give silver a try and found a great deal on unused Niagaras (balanced). With the Niagaras I get amazing clarity, it’s almost as if a veil has been lifted off the speakers. I was blown away. However, the vast soundstage I had with the Earths decreased, and the mids and lows have “take a step back”.

Will I gain anything by reterminating the Earths to balanced XLR? The runs are pretty short (1.5M) so I am doubtful, but figured I would ask. People have mentioned the Fires add tonal balance. Does this include soundstage and depth? Just trying to figure out if the Fires will make a good enough difference compared to the Niagaras.

I am trying to be budget conscious since I just completely overhauled my entire audio system and my wife is already past her acceptance point.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!