View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 09:57 PM

Default Magnum Dynalab FT-101A!!!

OK, now I'm smitten. I bought the little Sony FDR-1HD at the suggestion of several on this board, mostly as a way to see what was going on with tuners. I also installed an exterior antenna as I thought this might be fun. I was mostly interested in the Sony to try hd, but found the signal a tad compressed and the analog offerings from my primary stations got nearly all of the play. I was still interested in an mr-88, as I have a mostly a mcintosh system, but $4k seemed a lot for a source that everyone says is on its way out.

So, fast forward and an ft-101a popped up from an aa'er and I decided to give it a whirl. It has been a fabulous weekend. Feeling the spin of the analog tuner and watching the signal come and go is just great - reminds me of being a teenager again. And!!, I get to sample all this great stuff from a couple of local public and college stations. It also sounds fabulous. So, I'm struck with FM and the whole, free over the air thing all over again. The Sony just didn't have that magic for me (and didn't sound nearly as good).

Only problem now is I'm eyeing the really nice MD tuners out there. So much for that $4k ....