View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
Hey pechelman, with the B+ off there is some magnetic field pick up from the power transformer.
With the B+ in the on position with the amp operating, DC current is flowing through the output transformers and the hum will be eliminated.
Thanks, straitwire.

Also, a general question that's half 45 firebottle/inspire related and half general tube newby question; Does anyone have a list of recommended and compatible tubes for this amp? Not looking to use anything other than a 45 output tube of course in this amp, but looking for specific brand recommendations. Have heard the RCA and Philco's are very similar and maybe the Sophia's are the one to try next?

On the recommendation & compatibility side of my question curious about the 6SL7 driver and 80 rectifier.

Have heard from someone else they like a 6SU7GTY and a 5Z3 in this amp. Is there a chart or spec sheet where I could find out what tubes are equiv/compatible? I.e. how would I know that an 6SU7 is a drop-in replacement for a 6SL7? Unfortunately I have 2 strikes against me; one being too young to have grown up using tubes and second that I'm a mechanical engineer, and tend to stay away from angry pixies/electrical engineering. Reading a spec sheet is no problem but even better if there's a website that lists compatible tube types.

Impetus for looking for tubes: First off, I would like a spare set of tubes should anything happen to my current set, so not really picky and in no rush. Second, with the philco 45s/80 and JAN 6SL7 provided by Dennis, along with my omega junior 8's, I wouldnt mind a little more top end reach. There's lots of low end extension right now that I wouldnt mind compromising on.

thanks in advance