View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jon.......Low ball offers are part of the selling experience. It is to be expected, so no reason to be offended. Three little words end ridiculous offers, "No thank you." No need to say anything else.

When I sell audio gear I rarely try to pull top dollar because it delays a sale. I put an attractive price on an item with the understanding that I may accept a slightly lower offer, but certainly nothing stupidly low. If an item sits for long with no activity I will lower the price, but there is a limit. Patience is the key.

I have had far greater success selling audio gear on Audio Aficionado than on Audiogon, and I am much more comfortable selling to known individuals here. I am also not against trading gear to a dealer if I can get a reasonable trade offer. Trades will not pull retail pre-owned pricing but if a trade also includes a decent discount on the new purchase it can balance the difference to some degree.

It is important to keep in mind that audio gear in general is a liability, not an asset. From the moment you purchase a component it begins to depreciate. It is the rare component that gains value over time. Consequently it is in the interest of a relatively quick sale to price an item attractively to instill the urge to purchase by an interested party. Once again, patience is paramount.

Totally agree.