View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 PM

Well I can't say that low level detail is a forte for Magnepan, at least in my experience. They are relatively low efficiency, and they do need a high quality (high current, not necessarily high wpc) amplifier to generate the relatively high SPL needed to allow them to "come alive" yet w/o the mylar bottoming out against the magnets, particularly the bass panels. They present a very large and life like soundstage, and the 3.7s are the most top to bottom coherent version of the 3 series. All Magnepans are dipoles and require a fair degree of attention with regard to room positioning. Room positioning is a major topic of discussion for Magnepan forum participants as well as amplifier choice. If Khorn is Klipschorn, then in comparison the Magnepans would seem to me a very different direction in speaker design parameters and amplification requirements.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.