Thread: MC501 Club
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 02:26 PM

Hello all! I am new to the forum but had my MC-501s for more than 10 years and they served me well. However I have two issues. One issue is on both units and the other is on one unit.

So the issue on both units is that when I turn the left knob to LIGHTS OFF, the display often flickers on and off. This does not bother me so much though, as it turns out the problem seemed to go away when I turn the knob many times back and forth. I guess there is dust or smudge in there somewhere?

The issue that does bother me is that the VU meter on one unit has begun to behave strangely. In the lower position, it seems to "get stuck" on a certain position. This is an area of maybe 1cm. Everything above that and the needle works fine. Also it does not go to 0 position, but stays at -50 mark. I have disconnected everything, switched power cables and signal cables between the units. The cables are not the problem. I also tried adjusting meter screw inside the unit. It did no make any difference to the problem. If I gently tap the glass o front of the meter a couple of times , I can make the meter go down to the zero position.

I have got several suggestions on how to fix this. One service partner says it does need a new meter. Another say it can be fixed as is, but no reply as to what the mean exactly. Is there anything I can try myself to fix this? A new meter cost 600$ with freight and that is serious money.

Here is a video clip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1w4a3ws9k...94433.mp4?dl=0

Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited by Drem; 06-21-2019 at 03:13 PM.