View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 05:31 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paltomare View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have cable or TV connected to this system. It is a desktop system with Schiit, REL and KEF LS50 components. The hum I'm getting is very brief and only occurs when the A/C or other high current appliances kick on. My home is older and the electrical system is shit, just looking for a band-aid until I can rewire the house. Strange thing is my other systems with McIntosh and Accuphase components don't have this problem.
If the other systems are on the same line as your air conditioner, then I'd look at isolation transformers or voltage regulators on that smaller system for sure. Since there's no hum when the A/C compressor isn't running, then it's the culprit, plus the smaller system components are more susceptible to the voltage fluctuations/line noise the A/C introduces. At the very least, it sounds as if you need something that filters line noise, which the A/C compressor seems to introduce.

Since I brouht up the Furman before, here's a brochure on it. See if something like this would suit you or provide any useful info as you investigate your options.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pdf_SPR-20I_datasheet.pdf (1.28 MB, 2 views)
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks