View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbrown View Post
Are there two volume controls?

Why does Pseudo balanced require too long to explain? What if a customer asks about it?
The LL1 is a 4 box, dual volume control preamp. All their preamps are dual volume control, purist designs.

My current LL2D is also a dual volume design. The dual volume itself is a non-issue for me, it actually comes in handy every once in a great while when the recorded music is not exactly centered and you can "walk" the center image to center it with the dual volume controls. The bigger issue is if one can live without the remote control rather than there are two knobs to adjust. I have no problems with no remote control, I am not that lazy and I've owned plenty of gear before without remotes so it is nothing new to me.

As far as balanced and Lamm, Vladimir is not a big fan of balanced although some balanced inputs appear on some gear for convinience sake. It has to do with the associated circuitry that needs to be in the signal path for balanced and conversion of single ended to balanced and Vladimir being a purist.

My Lamm M1.2s have both and I've used both with various preamps. Obviously in combination with my Lamm LL2D, I have to use single ended and it sounds fantastic. I actually have less issues with LL2D in combination with the EAR324P phono stage with single ended while the balanced run to Ayre KX-R is much noisier for some reason. I am not sure if it's the Ayre or the EAR phono that is at fault with the balanced scheme..

If you are going to spend $42k on Vladimir's LL1, I am sure he will take all the time you need to explain it to you why he doesn't like balanced. I've actually spoken to and emailed Vladimir on a few occassions and he is very responsive and helpful.