View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 01:36 AM

Alberto,

I wanted to share with you what Mr Batjikis, the Shindo importer for Greece, just replied to me. I know he is a great person now and I will buy from him with confidence, should I follow the green way according to Master Stephen and Preacher Alberto !
"Lafon GM70 may indeed give you what you are after provided that your speakers are not a difficult load.

It is true that the expression of loudness in SE designs is different to that of PP designs, leading to the illusion that SE amplifiers are more powerful than they really are. I would say that this is more a sonic characteristic rather than an ability to drive difficult loads with low power.

Given that only you can decide what is satisfactory for your musical tastes, you are also the one to judge what is a problem in your system and what is not. My suggestion is to borrow a SE amplifier from a friend and try it with your speakers. This would give you a good idea of what the limitations may be.

There have been many discussions since the 90's regarding the possible compatibility of SE amplifiers with average sensitivity speakers, but I feel that including Shindo in such discussions miss the point. Shindo products are genuine Japanese artisan creations made in very limited quantities. They posses a unique sonic character no matter the design topology, type of tubes used, or power rating. It is up to the user to reveal their quality in the right system.*"

I hope you will appreciate !
Cheers,