Thread: Higher End DACs
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
right now, C1100/611s/B&W800 d3...I don't know how those pieces would be considered in a digital setup...but something about sticking a 2k-5k Lumin/Mytek/PS/Auralic/Aurender - just didn't seem as 'sexy' to me as thinking about some of these other pieces...but maybe that is more silly of me than not!

yes, the logic that for a spinner to be excellent it must have an excellent DAC is why I am still attracted to the Esoteric brand even when looking for a DAC. I just wasn't sure if spinning really wasn't any sort of factor if there were other brands/platforms (being more purpose built and/or more of my spend dollars just going to the streamer/DAC functionality vs a spinner/DAC) that could do better with the questions solely oriented that way.
I only mentioned because you were considering a very wide range for your budget, and I think you should keep it in line with the rest of the setup in the way I proposed. Sounds like you have quite a nice setup, so even if you go with a $25k dac, it's not going into a system that isn't going to support the overall resolution you are going to get. It drives me crazy when I see people saying that "dacs are all the same" and when I look at the gear in their system, it's some kind of cheap integrated with cheap speakers. Of course, you can build a very satisfying system like that, but it makes no sense to reach for SOTA sources if your system isn't in line with that. SOTA costs a lot! And yes, despite many "deniers", it sounds better.

I personally feel that although a Schitt dac might be "close" to an Esoteric (I have not compared them myself), I doubt they are simply interchangeable - the build quality, sound quality, and pride of ownership of boutique brands like Esoteric or dcs makes it a worthy goal if you have a high-end system. Add a good clock to either, and it's game over. My opinion only, don't flame me!