View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 09:38 PM

Default Friday afternoon at the Toy Shop

Went over to Dennis' shop to drop off the parts for my next build and see what Dennis is up to. He was messing with a new pre amp and amp he is calling part of his "Nineteen series" for new 2019 builds. The preamp is a "3.1" using a pair of 6SN7s and a 6BX7 as a buffer/cathode follower. The amp is a 6550 SEP design with a 6SL7 up front. Neither has VR tubes, so I assume he's using SS voltage regulation. Together they make a really nice combination with a ton of bass and woofer control. Everything sounds clear and clean with a huge sound stage and plenty of dynamic headroom for big transients. We also played with the Inspire speakers, with Dennis tweaking the crossovers with a potential eye for tossing them up on that auction site for general consumption. Overall, a fun afternoon. Some pix...

Untitled by Analog Addict, on Flickr

From right to left - the new 3.1 pre, a current 3 series pre with VR tubes, and my knockoff pre. In the back, my phono pre

Untitled by Analog Addict, on Flickr

From right to left - an unknown and unused amp, a 300B SET, the new Model 19, and an older 45 SET amp. We ran the last three amps, and the 19 blew away everything else.