View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 02:10 AM
Keeping it real since '75

I dont have an Aurend N10, and I obviously dont know how your network/internet is set up but I do have a plausible explanation as to what might have happened. Almost all residential high speed internet connections have IP addresses that are dynamically assigned. This is also usually the case for your internal IP address assignment as well. DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) is the specification that outlines how this whole thing works.

There is more to this than what I am explaining here, but devices are required to renew their IP address over time. Devices that dont renew (or are offline when the renewal is triggered) can lose their IP address. If a device has an IP address, it will automatically ask to use the one it was using last time. If its not in use, it will be reassigned and allowed to use it until the next time it needs to renew...

I have seen instances where a device has an IP but loses it while its installing updates as it hits a DHCP renewal period while doing the update. The device still thinks it has the IP address; the router has assigned the address to someone else. The device *should* just ask for a new one, but it gets stuck in a loop where it keeps asking to use the same IP it had last time. The router keeps telling it "no", the device asks again, rinse, and repeat.... It gets stuck in this endless loop.

Pulling the network cable and re-attaching causes the process to re-initialize correctly.

So again, not saying this what happened to you, but it would account for what you are describing.

Glad to hear everything worked out ok!