View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Robert, I went from all copper lesser brand to WireWorld Silver Eclipse 6. At first I was afraid the "silver" would be too bright, but then I experienced what I perceived as a softening of the sound. I was real confused. How could silver sound less "allegedly detailed" than copper?

I was basing this on listening to a favorite album (Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die), wherein the "blat" sound of the sax seemed to have become more polite. I did not like that politeness. Upon broader, and further, listening I have reached two conclusions: (1) some of the "blat" sound I had liked was really coloration added by the copper cables (I got there by comparing the overall spectrum on many other CD's and realized the SE6's were much more neutral and detailed than the copper) and (2) the SE6's had not completely opened yet (more time on them brought back some, but not all, of the "blat").

My advice is keep listening longer to be sure they have really settled in to their sonic signature. I did not declare settled until 300 hours when I realized that not much had changed since 200 hours. In other words, 200 hours seemed to be the settled in point. YMMV and your taste may differ.

Okay, thanks Chessman, appreciate the feedback. Seems I'm going through the same process. The bad is that I don't have 200 hours to have them settle in so I'm really hoping tonight at 75 hours through the next day for 100 hours will give 80% of the sound knowing the last bit will just get better.

I'll move on to a variety of CD's tonight like you suggested but will keep it to a number of good tracks since easy to play too many and overwhelm when comparing the copper E's.

I'll keep you posted.

Robert