View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post

If at some stage I do go the 20.7 way it definitely wont be because the 3.7s aren't making me happy.. just that dumb urge to go that bit further... I was so relieved when Jon Valin said the Constellation stereo amp was struggling with the Maggies... I had started to develop delusions of going that way... thank the heavens no Constellation now.

As Darrin says bigger aint necessarily better... the 3.7s have a wholeness that just works.

Graham
You know, it seems to me that every change I've ever made in my system started a series of events, all of which cost me major money. And, at the end of the day, I often wondered if change for change sake was worth the effort, and I often wished that I'd left well enough alone.

If there is a vast difference in two speakers - or other components - go for it, but if the difference is only marginal - forget it.

As for me, I owned Magnepan/Magneplanar speakers for about 30 years. - almost every version that came along - starting with Tympani 1U, on through the Tympni IVa, then the single panel speakers, and ending with 20.1's.

Then, I moved to a house on a lake, and ultimately the speakers blocked the view of the lake to the degree that my live-in war department convinced me that they were no longer acceptable to our living arrangements.

But, always onward and upward, until, hopefully, some day, I/we realize that what we have is "Good Enough", and as I listen this morning to my little Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos, I think I may have reached that point.

(Besides I have bigger speakers in another system)

A picture of my big Maggies "blocking the view" follows. . .

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .