View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 01:45 PM

More impressions of yo-yo ma PBS CD. I listened to it after I got home from dinner. Saw it on my front door step on leaving.

This am I listened to it on volume 50%. With the XVX you can listen about as loud as you want. The music does not not "change" with loudness. Cut 2 Traveling Music again sounded excellent just as I described last night. But not dynamically demanding just beautiful crystal clear percussion, reed instrument on right. Xylophone type instrument middle and mid left with excellent reverb and a counterpoint in background on left in distance. Builds to crescendo of about 60 watts and at 50 the strikes are a little bit harder. No Thor at all (about 1.2 watts peak hold).

However, the rest of the disc is a different story. It is dynamically demanding. On 6 which is like 2 but on steroids and more somber because it has deep bass both the Thor and the XVX hit 120 watts peak hold. That's loud and a lot of bass.

Cut 5 will demonstrate midrange flaws if you have any. This is an extremely impressive CD. In my room the XVX has a lot of bass when it's in the recording and the transition to the Thor is extremely smooth so much so I never thought this could be possible. This is because the XVX woofers are every bit as powerful as the Thor, in fact even more powerful if that were possible. Therefore on this CD you can only tell the contribution of each by looking at the needles. There is zero change in pitch.

The best way I could describe this CD is Asian jazz. I'm not sure I have a jazz CD (I have a lot of them) that can remotely match the dynamic range of this CD and sound quality of this CD. How has it been overlooked?

This CD I believe will turn out to be the best CD I will have for sub woofer blend because of the incredible amount of bass that actually is there in the recording.

I highly recommend this CD. As I said the reed instrument solo at the beginning of cut 5 will tell you what kind of mid you have rather immediately. The percussion and bass are amazing on this cut.

Last edited by Charles; 03-05-2020 at 01:51 PM.