View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw31 View Post
Distance between central line of speakers is 10' 8" (tweeter center to tweeter center). Listening distance from front of speakers is 11' 5'. That is if you drew a line from tweeter to tweeter and then a perpendicular line from that to back of my head.

Not sure exactly how Martin calculated distance to his listening position. Also curious where he found that 10.68 is at the upper limit. I called B&W tech support and they had no insight.
I measured the distance to my listening position (using a small laser distance meter).

Basically the listening position is supposed to be at the peak of an even sided triangle.
However one can extend the length of the perpendicular line to max. 1.33 x the distance between the tweeters.
Doing Pythagoras calculation (half distance between speakers / 90º angle / perpendicular line forms the triangle) results in a direct listening distance to each speaker of 1.42 x distance between speakers, hence the calculated upper limit in my case would be 11.06 feet (3.37 m).

Having the listening position too far away will result in imageing errors: far left and far right (signals coming from one speaker only) will remain the same, whereas all signals from between the speakers (signals from both speakers together) will tend to concentrate towards the middle between the speakers.
When the listening position is about correct, all signals from between the speakers should be evenly spaced from left to right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw31 View Post
Absolutely love these speakers. I also had the 802D3 which are also incredible. If you are concerned about the size of your room to handle the 800D3's I think you would be thrilled with the 802's. I had them in a 17 x 13 x 8 room and was thrilled. Feel free to ping me if you have any other questions
IHMHO the 800 D3 is quite a different animal compared to the 802 D3.

Martin